The Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) came into effect on March 12, 2014 and apply to all Australian businesses that may handle or store personal information.
At Zenon Education Centre we respect your privacy.
In all dealings by Zenon Education involving the collection, storage and use of families’ personal information, Zenon Education will comply with its obligations under the Australian Privacy Principles (“APPs”) prescribed by the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012 (the “Act”). Zenon has taken and will continue to take reasonable steps to:
- implement practices, procedures and systems that will ensure that we comply with the APPs and any binding registered APP code; and
- be able to deal with privacy related inquiries and complaints in a prompt manner.
Note: ‘Personal information’ is defined in the Act as ‘information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
- whether the information or opinion is true or not, and
- whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
Security of your Personal Information
Personal information Zenon Education collects and holds
Zenon Education collects and holds personal information such as you name, postal address, delivery address, email address, telephone numbers and computer cookies. Zenon Education does not retain credit card or bank account details. These details are permanently destroyed by Zenon Education after we process your payment.
How personal information is collected and held
Zenon Education collects and stores your personal information whenever:
- you enrol your children;
- you subscribe to our newsletter;
- you visit or place an order to purchase a school polo shirt;
- you send us an email;
- you enter a competition or raffle; or
- you inform us of your child’s health status.
Your personal information is stored and secured using our database software.
Purposes for which Zenon Education collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information for the primary purpose of:
- processing your child enrolments;
- ensuring that we have your contact details in case of an emergency;
- ensuring that we have all relevant information about your child’s possible allergy or other health issues;
- properly managing and fulfilling child progress records;
- receiving and resolving complaints;
- mailing and delivery systems when it is necessary to contact you;
- keeping records of payments and creating invoices;
- our professional accountants, lawyers, auditors.
We may also use your personal information for the secondary purpose of sending you information about Zenon Education activities or to inform you about functions that Zenon Education may conduct.
This Zenon Education website uses “cookies” to help you personalise your online experience. A cookie is a text file or a packet of information that is placed on your hard disk by a web page server to identify and interact more effectively with your computer.
There are two types of cookies that may be used at the zenon-education.org.au website: a persistent cookie and a session cookie:
- A persistent cookie gets entered by your web browser into the “Cookies” folder on your computer and remains in this “Cookies” folder after you close your browser. Persistent cookies may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the site.
- A session cookie is held temporarily in your computer’s memory and disappears after you close your browser or shut down your computer. The zenon-education.org.au website may also use web “beacons” (also called “clear GIFs” or “pixel tags”) in conjunction with cookies for the same reasons. Web beacons are small strings of code that are placed in a Web page. Cookies cannot be used to run programs. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you, and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you. One of the primary purposes of cookies is to provide a convenience feature to save you time.
The purpose of a cookie is to tell the web server that you have returned to a specific page. For example, if you personalise Zenon Education pages, or register with the zenon-education.org.au website or services, the cookie helps Zenon Education record your specific visit information (including time, date, page url etc) on subsequent visits. This simplifies the process of recording your visit information, such as billing address, residence address, and whatever else you provide. When you return to the same Zenon Education website page, information you previously provided can be retrieved, so you can easily use the Zenon Education web features that you customised. You can configure your internet browser (such as Microsoft Internet Explorer, Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari) to accept all cookies, reject all cookies or notify you when a cookie is sent. Please refer to your internet browsers instructions to learn more about these functions. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies, if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of the Zenon Education website when you visit.
Accessing and seeking correction of your personal information
Zenon families can gain access to or seek the correction of the personal information that Zenon Education holds. Zenon Education families have a right to make a reasonable request for access to their personal information and to request its correction. Requests to access or seek to correct your personal information can be made by email to the Privacy Officer at email@example.com or by contacting us (contact details on this page). When we receive such a request, we have the right to ask for and obtain your position title, telephone number and email address in order for you to access and correct personal information.
A person cannot deal with Zenon Education by identifying themselves or using a pseudonym. This is because your personal address information can be disclosed to the Department of Education or other Government bodies and needs to be correct.
Zenon Education’s access to your information
Zenon Education staff that will have access to your personal information after it is collected will include:
- Zenon Education Centre Administrative (all details)
- Zenon Education Centre teachers & personnel (limited number of details)
Zenon Education staff authorised to access your personal information are trained in compliance with the Act and have access only to carry out the primary purpose.
Third Party Access to your information
The following third party recipients may have access to your personal information for the primary purposes noted above and only under government regulation:
- Department of Education and Early Childhood
- Ethnic Schools Association of Victoria
Length of time Personal Information is retained
Zenon Education will keep and retain your personal information for a period of 7 years, or such other period of time as is required by Law.
Consequences for you if your personal information is not provided to us
If some or all of the personal information that we request is not provided to us, the main consequence is that we may not be able to fulfil your enrolment or to allow your children to come to Zenon Education. Other consequences may include that we might not be able contact you in case of an emergency or to resolve any complaint you have against Zenon Education.
Using and disclosing personal information
Zenon Education may use or disclose personal information about you to a government organisation for the purpose of identifying if:
- Zenon Education collected the information from you;
- you would reasonably expect Zenon Education to use or disclose the information for that purpose;
- Zenon Education provides you with an option to ‘opt-out’ of receiving activities communications from us, and
- you have not made such an ‘opt-out’ request to us.
Requests by you to stop direct communications
If Zenon Education uses or discloses your personal information for the purpose of auditing, you may request not to receive further communications from us. Zenon Education will not charge you for making or giving effect to your data and we will stop sending any communications within a reasonable period after your request is made (usually within 5 working days from receiving your request).
You may also ask us to identify the source of the personal information. Zenon Education will notify you of the source, unless this is impracticable or unreasonable, which will depend on a number of factors, including:
- the consequences for you if you are not notified of the source;
- the length of time that has elapsed since the personal information was collected by us;
- the time and cost involved.
Destroying or de-identifying personal information
Zenon Education will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify personal information it holds if it no longer needs the information for any purpose for which it may be used or disclosed under the APPs. The requirement to take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify does not apply if personal information is contained in a Commonwealth record, or if an Australian law or a court/tribunal order requires it to be retained.
Verifying your identity
Zenon Education must be satisfied that a request for personal information made by the individual concerned, or by another person who is authorised to make a request on their behalf, for example, as a legal guardian or authorised agent. It would generally be extremely difficult for Zenon Education to deal with an anonymous request for personal information. The steps required for Zenon Education to verify your identity will depend on the circumstances. In particular, whether you are already known to or readily identifiable by Zenon Education. The minimum amount of personal information needed to establish your identity will be sought. In a telephone call Zenon Education may request information that can be checked against records held by us, such as your date of birth or address.
Refusal to give Access
Whilst every effort will be made by Zenon Education to provide access in a manner that is as prompt, uncomplicated and inexpensive as possible, Zenon Education may refuse to give you access to your personal information. There are a number of grounds upon which Zenon Education can refuse to give you access to your personal information. These reasons may include (without limitation):
- if Zenon Education reasonably believes that giving access would pose a serious threat to the life, health or safety of any individual, or to public health or public safety;
- giving access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of other individuals;
- the request for access is frivolous or vexatious;
- the information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings between you and Zenon Education, and would not be accessible by the process of discovery in those proceedings;
- giving access would reveal the intentions of Zenon Education in relation to negotiations with you in such a way as to prejudice those negotiations;
- giving access would be unlawful;
- denying access is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order;
- Zenon Education has reason to suspect that unlawful activity, or misconduct of a serious nature, that relates to Zenon Education’s functions or activities has been, is being or may be engaged in and giving access would be likely to prejudice the taking of appropriate action in relation to the matter;
- giving access would be likely to prejudice one or more enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body; or
- giving access would reveal evaluative information generated within Zenon Education in connection with a commercially sensitive decision making process.
An individual can complain about an alleged breach by Zenon Education of the APPs by sending an email to Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org setting out details of the complaint. Alternatively, Administration can be contacted by telephoning 04 130 574 26 or by sending a letter with details of your complaint to:
All complaints are required by the Act to be made in writing to Zenon Education and Zenon Education is then allowed a reasonable time (usually 30 days) to respond to complaints.